Please read through the materials that will provide some background on the author and stories we will read. Background on Lysley Tenorio
Then post in this discussion:
- What was one thing you learned/found interesting from the materials provided about the author?
- What was one thing you learned/found interesting about the historical context?
- What is one thing you are curious to know more about after reviewing this materials?
Reply to the person who posted right before you. Comment on what they wrote: how does it compare to what you wrote? What do you have to add to their comments? Do you have any thoughts on what they were curious to know more about?
Read: “Monstress” (which is just the first story!, not the whole book!) “The Brothers” and “Felix Starro”
A)Choose a passage you find significant from any one of the stories, copy it out with page number, and provide a close analysis of the passage. Instruction on Close Analysis
B) CHOOSE 3 QUESTIONS TO ANSWER (1 for each story) and reply to 2 classmates’ posts. Your posts and replies must be at least 100 words each. You will not be able to see your classmates’ post until you have posted.
- In “Monstress,” what roles does Checkers want Reva to play, how do they contrast with the roles Reva wishes for, and what might the different roles symbolize?
- Why do you think is Reva able to “make it” in America while Checkers is not? What might this difference suggest about the immigrant experience in America?
- What do you think is the significance of Erica’s death being from asthma? What do you think the author was trying to suggest? How does that connect to other moments in the story?
- In what way(s) does Edmond change after Erica’s death and why do you think he changed? What was he like before her death compared to after? What were the key moments in his change?
- “Felix Starro” features three characters who might be considered scam artists: the narrator, Papa Felix, and Flora Ramirez. Do you consider all of them equally “scammers”? Why or why not?
- Why do you think young Felix changes hesitates to move ahead with Flora Ramirez? What is holding him back and why do you think he eventually moves forward?