Write 350–500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments.
- Steven Sample discussed the importance of leaders having experts. These experts, as defined by Sample (2003), need to be artful listeners so they can understand what the leader is trying to achieve and then help them accomplish these objectives. Contrarian leaders are able to distinguish the experts that are saviors from the charlatans (Sample, 2003).
- Identify 5 experts that you need in your life during your doctoral journey and the objectives each expert will help you achieve.
- Steven Sample discussed the importance of leaders to read what he calls supertexts. These supertexts, as explained by Sample, are insightful, the foundation of our culture, and stimulate original thinking. Some of the books he recommends are The Prince, Plato’s Republic, Shakespeare’s Hamlet and Othello, Sophocles’ Antigone, and Dante’s Divine Comedy (Sample, 2003).
- What was the last supertext that you read?
- What insights did you gain that helped stimulate original thinking?
- Why do you think Sample considered these supertexts more important than reading popular periodicals? Do you agree or disagree? Justify your answer.