Several years ago, researchers discovered a part of the nuclear chromosome called a telomere. The telomere is found at the end of chromosomes and they fall off at regular intervals of a year or two. Since they are just a segment of chromosomes of 4-6 base pairs it appears to be insignificant except for their reliability over time of the organism or person’s life. Researchers were fascinated by these small segments and the apparent correlation with the aging of the person. In addition, these segments accelerated their action of dropping off when the person was diagnosed with cancer or a disease that was categorized as eventually fatal. Review the Telomeres video below.
Watch VideoTelomeres and Aging | Isagenix
User: n/a – Added: 10/22/13
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de0aSMxeYmg
- Reread Chapter 3 and answer the following questions.
- Would you classify telomere-based aging as stochastic or non-stochastic?
- What theory would you classify this under considering those listed in the chapter?
- How would you, if you were a gerontological researcher, manipulate the telomeres through telomerase to assist persons to live longer? Be specific about each step.
- Your paper should be:
- Two (2) page or more.
- Use factual information from the textbook and/or appropriate articles and websites.
- Cite your sources – type references according to the APA Style Guide.