Reflect on potential circumstances under which your value might change. Review the Monica Lewinsky video. Consider the role of public opinion on Lewinsky’s behavior.
Post a response:
- Describe circumstances under which your values might change
- Explain how the social environment affects the way you implement your values
- Compare your use of your personal values around friends and family, at work, and in public. Explain your comparison.
- Reflect on the Monica Lewinsky video. Explain how she might have behaved differently if she had known the public would be involved.
- Explain how the Lewinsky situation relates to value conflicts
Monica Lewinsky: The Price of Shame
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 22 minutes
Public Service Ethics: Individual and Institutional Responsibilities
Chapter 5, “Cognitive Ethics Methods” (pp. 75-98)
Chapter 6, “Virtue Theory” (pp. 99-116)
Bowman, J. S., & West, J. P. (2015).
Chapter 3, “When We Act Against Our Own Ethical Values” (pp. 38-60)
Bazerman, M., & Tenbrunsel, A. (2011).
To Serve with Honor: Doing the Right Thing in Government
Chapter 3, “What are the Value Conflicts and Facts, and What Opinions Do I Have?” (pp. 33-64)
Newell, T. (2015).
Justice: What’s the Right Thing To Do?
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 17 minutes