For this assignment, you may use the context and data from one’s own home community college (assuming permission is granted by your supervisor and department chair) or it may be conducted using the context and data from another community college (again with permissions granted).
Focus on a strategic problem or issue currently facing the college. Examples might include, but are certainly not limited to:
- Organizational restructuring,
- Changing economic conditions and resource development strategies,
- Restructuring of the institutional mission associated with changing external conditions,
- New approaches to the organization and delivery of student support and success services,
- Development of a comprehensive technology plan,
- Development of a program review process,
- Development of a capability for strategic planning,
- Restructuring of career and technical programs, or
- Continuous quality improvement and quality assurance efforts.
Write a paper in which you identify the problem and provide an analysis of external and internal conditions that make the problem significant for the institution. The concern here is with clear problem identification followed by a clear rationale for “why” the problem is one that should concern the college and command human and financial resources toward its resolution.
You are not required to offer solutions to the problem. But you may begin to speculate as to what some of the solution options may be and how those options may be viewed by various stakeholders. You may wish, but are not required, to research the literature to determine whether other community colleges have faced a similar challenge or issue.
Length: 12-15 pages not including title and reference pages
References: Minimum of 7 scholarly resources.