Designing A Pay Structure
By Lisa A. Burke, Ph.D.
Source: Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
Student Workbook Access
This case, “Designing A Pay Structure (Links to an external site.),” can be accessed in the Student Development materials available from the SHRM website.
The student workbook can be found under the link above, or by searching the SHRM website. Make sure to select “Student Development” to filter results.
Case Study Instructions
- Covers ONLY the following steps:
- Step 1 : Job Analysis
- Step 2 : Job Evaluation
(NOTE: This case will also be used in Lesson 8 and 9. Save the workbook for those lessons. Only respond to steps 1 & 2 which are Tasks A & B in the workbook.)
Task A – Create a complete job description for the BenefitsManager position using O*NET.
- Your description should follow the same format as the benchmark jobs found in Appendix A of the workbook.
- Name and Student ID number (only last four numbers) should be typed and appear at the top of the page.
- Page Topic: “Case Study #1 – Benefits Manager” should appear under the student name.
- No more than 1 (one) page MS Word doc.
- MS Word doc., typed in an Arial 10 point font, single spaced.
Task B – Also provide the following:
- Calculate the job evaluation points for:
- Administrative Assistant,
- Payroll Assistant,
- Operational Analyst,
- Benefits Manager
- Provide a rationale for assigning specific degrees to the various jobs.
- Use the provided form for assigning the “degrees” and providing the rationale.
Use the worksheet provided to complete this case study:
Job Evaluation Worksheet-1.xlsx