Reflect: Reflect back on the Week 1 discussion in which you shared with the class the global societal issue that you would like to further address. Explore critical insights that were shared by your peers and/or your instructor on the topic chosen and begin your search for scholarly sources with those insights in mind.
Write: For this assignment, review the Annotated Bibliography Formatting Guidelines and address the following prompts:
- Introductory paragraph to topic (refer to the Final Paper guidelines for your topic selection).
- Write an introductory paragraph with at least 150 words that clearly explains the topic, the importance of further research, and ethical implications.
- Thesis statement.
- Write a direct and concise thesis statement, which will become the solution to the problem that you will argue or prove in the Week 5 Final Paper. (A thesis statement should be a concise, declarative statement. The thesis statement must appear at the end of the introductory paragraph.)
- Annotated bibliography.
- Develop an annotated bibliography to indicate the quality of the sources you have read.
- Summarize in your own words how the source contributes to the solution of the global societal issue for each annotation.
- Address fully the purpose, content, evidence, and relation to other sources you found on this topic (your annotation should be one to two paragraphs long—150 words or more.
- Include no less than five scholarly sources in the annotated bibliography that will be used to support the major points of the Final Paper.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills by accurately interpreting evidence used to support various positions of the topic.
The Introduction, Thesis Statement, and Annotated Bibliography
- Must be 1,000 to 1,250 words in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style resource.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013.
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voiceresource for additional guidance.
- Must use at least five scholarly sources.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for an assignment. The Integrating Researchtutorial will offer further assistance with including supporting information and reasoning.
- Must document in APA style any information used from sources, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper.
- Must have no more than 15% quoted material in the body of your essay based on the Turnitin report. References list will be excluded from the Turnitin originality score.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style. See the Formatting Your References List resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.