In the media introduction to this module, it was suggested that you as a nurse have an important role in the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC). With a focus on patient care and outcomes, nurses may not always see themselves as contributors to the development of new systems. However, as you may have observed in your own experience, exclusion of nurse contributions when implementing systems can have dire consequences.
In this Discussion, you will consider the role you might play in systems development and the ramifications of not being an active participant in systems development.
Post a description of what you believe to be the consequences of a healthcare organization not involving nurses in each stage of the SDLC when purchasing and implementing a new health information technology system. Provide specific examples of potential issues at each stage of the SDLC and explain how the inclusion of nurses may help address these issues. Then, explain whether you had any input in the selection and planning of new health information technology systems in your nursing practice or healthcare organization and explain potential impacts of being included or not in the decision-making process. Be specific and provide examples.
FYI two of the three resources must come from the following list:
- McGonigle, D., & Mastrian, K. G. (2022).Nursing informatics and the foundation of knowledge(5th ed.). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Chapter 9, â€œSystems Development Life Cycle: Nursing Informatics and Organizational Decision Makingâ€ (pp. 191â€“204)
- Chapter 12, â€œElectronic Securityâ€ (pp. 251â€“265)
- Chapter 13, â€œAchieving Excellence by Managing Workflow and Initiating Quality Projectsâ€
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (n.d.a). Health IT evaluation toolkit and evaluation measures quick reference guide Links to an external site.. Retrieved January 26, 2022, from https://digital.ahrq.gov/health-it-evaluation-toolkit
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (n.d.b). Workflow assessment for health IT toolkit Links to an external site.. Retrieved January 26, 2022, from https://digital.ahrq.gov/health-it-tools-and-resources/evaluation-resources/workflow-assessment-health-it-toolkit