Discussion Reply Week 1-2
Explain how the chosen national healthcare issue/stressor below may also impact your work setting and what (if anything) is being done to address the national healthcare issue/stressor.
(FYI:I work remotely as a Registered Nurse Case Manager)
There are various issues facing the healthcare sector in my country, but in the place of my work, the opioid crisis has become a central challenge that requires much input from the management workers and the patients. The nationwide healthcare concern or stressor I chose for investigation is the opioid crisis. Many localities around the United States are affected by the ongoing opioid crisis. The high expense of treatment and the lost productivity brought on by opioid-related deaths, overdoses, and other consequences place a significant load on the healthcare system. The socioeconomic factors of health, such as poverty and acquisition of healthcare, are also significantly impacted by the opioid crisis.
In the environment where I work in the health system, we have implemented a thorough program to manage opioid use disorder (OUD) in response to the opioid crisis. This program includes risk factor assessment, staff and patient education, and the provision of OUD treatment drugs, including buprenorphine and naloxone. Transformative leaders at my workplace have significantly impacted the implementation of this program to curb challenges related to this condition (Broome & Marshall, 2021). For patients with OUD, we have also implemented a medication-assisted treatment program that offers medication management, counseling, and support services, as well as access to a range of resources like housing and employment.
By fostering a climate of acceptance and understanding, the health system has also taken action to lessen the stigma attached to OUD. We have put in place procedures to guarantee that all employees are aware of OUD’s warning signs and symptoms, and we have established a secure environment where patients may talk about their addiction and get help (Palumbo & Rambur, 2017). In order to provide access to resources like housing, employment, and other social assistance, we have also worked with neighborhood organizations. In general, our health system’s reaction to the opioid crisis has been to foster a climate of safety and support for those impacted by it and to develop a comprehensive program to guarantee that people with OUD have access to the resources and treatment they require.
Resources FYI you can use 2 of these for sources but the third one must be a new one.
- Broome, M., & Marshall, E. S. (2021). Transformational
- leadership in nursing: From expert clinician to influential leader (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Springer.
- Chapter 2, â€œTransformational Leadership: Complexity, Change, and Strategic Planningâ€ (pp. 34â€“62)
- Chapter 3, â€œCurrent Challenges in Complex Health Care Organizations and the Quadruple Aimâ€ (pp. 66â€“97)
- Auerbach, D. I., Staiger, D. O., & Buerhaus, P. I. (2018). Growing ranks of advanced practice cliniciansâ€”Implications for the physician workforceLinks to an external site.. New England Journal of Medicine, 378(25), 2358â€“2360.
- Gerardi, T., Farmer, P., & Hoffman, B. (2018). Moving closer to the 2020 BSN-prepared workforce goal.Links to an external site. American Journal of Nursing, 118(2), 43â€“45.
- Jacobs, B., McGovern, J., Heinmiller, J., & Drenkard, K. (2018). Engaging employees in well-being: Moving from the Triple Aim to the Quadruple AimLinks to an external site.. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 42(3), 231â€“245.
- Norful, A. A., de Jacq, K., Carlino, R., & Poghosyan, L. (2018). Nurse practitionerâ€“physician comanagement: A theoretical model to alleviate primary care strainLinks to an external site.. Annals of Family Medicine, 16(3), 250â€“256.
- Palumbo, M., Rambur, B., & Hart, V. (2017). Is health care payment reform impacting nurses’ work settings, roles, and education preparation?Links to an external site. Journal of Professional Nursing, 33(6), 400â€“404.
- Park, B., Gold, S. B., Bazemore, A., & Liaw, W. (2018). How evolving United States payment models influence primary care and its impact on the Quadruple AimLinks to an external site.. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, 31(4), 588â€“604.
- Pittman, P., & Scully-Russ, E. (2016). Workforce planning and development in times of delivery system transformationLinks to an external site.. Human Resources for Health, 14(56), 1â€“15. doi:10.1186/s12960-016-0154-3. Retrieved fromhttps://human-resources-health.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/s12960-016-0154-3
- Poghosyan, L., Norful, A., & Laugesen, M. (2018). Removing restrictions on nurse practitioners’ scope of practice in New York state: Physicians’ and nurse practitioners’ perspectivesLinks to an external site.. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 30(6), 354â€“360.
- Ricketts, T., & Fraher, E. (2013). Reconfiguring health workforce policy so that education, training, and actual delivery of care are closely connectedLinks to an external site.. Health Affairs, 32(11), 1874â€“1880.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!