DISCUSSION POST MUST BE 10+ SENTENCES AND PEER REVIEWS MUST BE 7+ SENTENCES STAY ON TOPIC BE POSITIVE AND DO NO NOT COMMENT ON GRAMMAR ERRORS ( WHEN DOING PEER REVIEWS YOU MUST TALK DIRECTLY TO THE CLASSMATE)
1) DISCUSSION POST
20th CENTURY AFRICAN AMERICAN ARTISTS; POST-MODERN ARCHITECTURE
TOPIC: Please respond to one of the following topics, using the class text and sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
Doing this Week 10 discussion !————
- TOPIC CHOICE ONE: Choose two of the following late 20th century African-American artists and one art work from each, and compare and contrast their art: Bearden, Lawrence, Basquiat, or Colescott. Describe specific elements of the works from the chosen artists that represent the multiplicity of the African-American experience. Identify one of these works (or some other by an African American artist) that you would like in your workplace, and explain why.
- TOPIC CHOICE TWO: Choose one example of architecture that you believe exemplifies the characteristic post-modern style, using the class text’s description of post-modern features to make your case. Describe two features of post-modern style that you find intriguing.
African American Artists of the Twentieth Century
- Chapter 35 (p. 1167) and Chapter 36 (p. 1180) on Jacob Lawrence
- Chapter 39 ( 1285-1286) on Romare Bearden
- Chapter 40 ( 1326-1327) on Jean-Michel Basquiat
- Jacob Lawrence, New York Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) at http://www.moma.org/collection/artist.php?artist_i…
- Romare Bearden video, San Francisco’s Museum of Modern Art at http://www.sfmoma.org/explore/multimedia/videos/20…
- Chapter 40 (pp. 1312-1321) for examples of post-modern architecture
- POST-MODERN ARCHITECTURE: See http://www.greatbuildings.com/types/styles/post_mo… and see http://www.onpostmodernism.com/architecture . Also, see https://www.architecturaldigest.com/gallery/most-i… ; and see the list of 100 at https://www.ranker.com/list/postmodern-architectur… . Be sure also to see those shown and discussed on pp. 1312-1320 in chapter 40 of our textbook by Sayre. And see the Week 10 INSTRUCTOR INSIGHTS with its “Links and Great Buildings” item.
2) PEER REVIEW (JOSEPH BUSH)
Over the course of the class, several of the assignments, have been influential in motivating me for the future. From understanding time management better, to prioritizing and scheduling my life, everything has helped in some type way. But what I found most valuable, was the assignment on hero’s and helper’s. It challenged me to analyze, something I had put very little thought into, but had a great impact on me. It wasn’t until I completed that assignment, that I began to value them both.
I find that I am now more willing, to reach out to my designated helper when I run into problems on my academic and life journey. From being overwhelmed with a test or feeling stressed about work. I now see I can turn to my helper whenever I need some redirection. I also looked more into my hero’s, the people I aspire to reach the level of. I study more of what experience shaped them, what are their leadership style, what they believe are keys to success. Moving forward I plan to apply, the support and knowledge to my everyday choices and actions.
3) PEER REVIEW (FREDDIE LOCKHART)
Postmodern architecture gets its name as a successor to the modernist styles of the early 20th century. Modernist architecture was known for its formality and often cold, Brutalist concrete; Postmodernism was heralded as the return of “wit, ornament and reference,” where a more considerable emphasis was placed on aesthetics and form over function. New styles were mashed up with classical elements from the past in often unexpected, eclectic, and whimsical ways. In NYC on 550 Madison Avenue, the AT&T Building (formerly known as the Sony Tower), is an iconic postmodern 647-foot-tall skyscraper which has 37-stories.