DUE ON THE 18TH
CLASS: INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS
Unit 1 Discussion Board 2
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
Consider an organization you work for, have worked for, or would like to work for. Then, identify a country in which they do business or might do business outside of the United States. You also may select a company in contemporary business news that conducts business globally.
Discuss the key differences in cultural variables between the United States and the country that are important when conducting business in the selected country. What are the implications of these differences for the practice of business? Consider political, economic, legal, educational, and social systems of the selected country. Refer to Intellipath, MUSE, and Beyond the Book references in creating your response. Include a response to the following questions in your discussion writing at least one paragraph for each bullet point:
- Describe globalization and its benefits to business operations.
- What kind of management orientation style would you use to be most effective given the cultural attributes of the country (choose one other than the United States)?
- How would you overcome the anticipated barriers to communication? Provide specific examples
Unit 3 Discussion Board
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive clear and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
In preparing to launch the coffee franchises in China and Mexico you are planning to visit each country to interview potential global team members. You know it is important to be aware of the value differences and social customs in each country to develop trusting relationships to avoid potential conflicts. Compare and contrast your approach to doing business and building relationships among the global team members. Apply the readings, Intellipath, and library resources to respond to the following:
- Discuss collectivism and how it applies to China and Mexico. Explain the role of relationship building in China and Mexico compared to the United States.
- Video on Collectivism versus Individualism ,
- Explain the cultural value differences in time (monochronic versus polychronic cultures video link), https://youtu.be/3H-b4_yBo84approaches to decision making (objective or subjective approach), and individualism that could potentially occur during global operations.
- What are some of the nonverbal behavior differences among the countries such as silence, eye contact, body movements, proxemics or interruptions that may affect doing business with your global team?
UNIT 5 DISCUSSION BOARD
Social media provides many advantages and opportunities for multi-national businesses to connect with their customers. In responding to the following, reflect on the use of social media to develop the coffee franchises in each country. Write at least 3 paragraphs on the following:
- Describe the main driving factors (such as purposes of using social media, how open the culture is to sharing information online (privacy and security), online purchasing behavior, languages other than English being used, and number and types of social media users among the total population) that determine the choice of platforms and content that your franchises should focus on when using social media to communicate with customers in Mexico and China.
- Explain some of the etiquette factors that should be taken into consideration in each country when using social media to conduct business, which is essential for business professionals. Business etiquette and activities make a good impression while using social media. Etiquette is essential for business professionals, and student may address cultural factors that affect social media or common-sense rules of behavior will enhance interactions online.
- Discuss how global technology has changed the way businesses, in this case the franchises, communicate because of the accessibility of Web sites, social media, e-mail, and other forms of technology.