Prior to beginning work on this assignment, please review Chapters 2 and 8 in the Martin (2015) text and Chapter 5 in the Steiner (2015) text, and review the required resources (a video on DHS Fusion Centers and intelligence (Links to an external site.) and the websites for the FBI (Links to an external site.)) and FEMA (Links to an external site.).
Emergency response is a critical mandate for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). For this assignment, you will select three homeland security case studies, as indicated below. The first case study must involve a natural disaster. The second must involve a technological hazard. The third case study must involve intentional threats and hostilities. Each case study must involve an event that took place within the United States, at some point during or after 2002.
For the first case study, select one of the following natural disaster events, which are drawn from the Homeland Security Timeline set forth in the Appendix of the Martin (2015) text
- August 2005 Hurricane Katrina (Louisiana)
- April 2011 EF4 Tornado (Alabama)
- October 2012 Superstorm Sandy (East coast of the United States)
- April 2013 EF5 Tornado (Oklahoma)
For the second and third case studies, you may draw from either the Homeland Security Timeline (Martin 2015) or relevant case studies identified in the Steiner text.
You must supplement your analysis of each case study with at least two additional credible sources, which may include the required and recommended websites, scholarly journal articles or academic books. At least one of the two sources must be unique to that particular case study The following elements must be addressed in your paper.
- Explain the operational structure of the Department of Homeland Security as it relates to the issue(s) in each case study.
- Prepare an evidence-based assessment of the effectiveness of the response methods utilized. In other words, ensure that you analyze the impact and response with objective facts, figures, information and associated evidentiary items. The purpose of this element is to avoid general unsubstantiated statements.
- Identify activities, decisions, processes, and policies implemented by agencies involved in each case study.
- Propose and justify enhanced or alternative response system methods for the issue(s) in each case study.
The Evidence-based Agency Assessment
- Must be three to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least four credible sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.