My Company is Best Buy Co
Step 1: Examine Comparator Group Companies
Refer to the SEC Form DEF14A Annual Proxy Statement obtained during Unit 1, identifying the company’s comparator group.
- Visit each of the companies’ Investor Relations Web sites. Download and review copies of their most recent SEC Form DEF14A, Proxy Statement, focusing on Compensation Philosophy, Executive Compensation, the Report of the Compensation Committee, and compensation plans up for vote or ratification by shareholders, if any.
Step 2: Library Research and Review of Comparator Group Companies
Using the Library databases below, review business research reports on the comparator companies.
- Business Source Complete (EBSCO): Business Source Complete offers full text coverage in all disciplines of business, including marketing, management, accounting, finance and economics. Additional full text, non-journal content includes market research reports, industry reports, country reports, company profiles and SWOT analyses.
Media and Public Relations Databases
- Using the Library databases below, search for stories and articles on the company relating to strategic human resources topics (e.g., employee or labor relations, human capital management, compensation and benefits, diversity, affirmative action, outsourcing, downsizing, employment law matters, etc.) published in the last 12 months.
- Newsstand (Proquest): Proquest Newsstand offers access to full text of over 1,300 newspapers. The collection includes national newspapers including.
- Regional Business News (EBSCO): Regional Business News provides full text for more than 80 regional U.S. and Canadian business publications.
Step 3: Assessment of the Comparator Group Human Resources Posture
Based on analysis of information obtained in Steps 1–3, prepare a professionally written report assessing the overall comparator group’s human resources posture, suitable for presentation to the senior executives of the company. Your report should present your assessment of the human resources areas listed below. The body of the report should be 8–10 pages excluding title, references page(s), and any appendices.
- Benefits and Compensation
- Business Leadership and Strategy
- Employee Relations
- Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Organizational and Employee Development
- Talent Management
- Best Practices in Human Resource Management
- SWOT Analyses